“Doctor, What causes dandruff? Is it because of poor scalp care or nutritional deficiency? Which is best anti-dandruff shampoo?” We dermatologist often spend hours counselling patients of dandruff; proper scalp care and regular use of anti-dandruff shampoos is needed to keep the embarrassing white flakes off your shoulders. Here, in this article we have explained “what causes dandruff?”
What is Dandruff?
In our skin, dead cells are continually replaced by new cells; however this process is imperceptible to human eyes. When this shedding of dead cells increases, they are visible as tiny white flakes called dandruff. Thus, the physiological process of scaling is aggravated in dandruff without any element of inflammation. When inflammation occurs, it is termed as Seborrheic dermatitis.
What causes Dandruff?
Dandruff or Seborrheic dermatitis occurs because of overgrowth of fungus that usually lives on your scalp and survives on the oil secretion. This overgrowth is triggered by:
- Adolescence: Dandruff is particularly common during the phase of adolescence because it is the time when your oil-secreting glands are very active.
- Poor scalp hygiene: This occurs due to infrequent or inefficient washing of your hair, the latter occurs when you do not completely remove the oil applied to your scalp. Thus, oiling of the scalp is not a problem, until and unless you wash it off thoroughly.
- Oily Hair: Oily hairs have abundant food for the fungus that leads to dandruff.
- Poor diet: Diet deficient in zinc, vitamin B or essential fatty acids can also cause itchy and flaky scalp.
- Stress: It is an important trigger not only for dandruff but also for itchy scalp.
- Medical disorders: Dandruff specifically Seborrheic dermatitis is common in AIDS, Parkinson’s disease or in any chronic illness.
Once you know, why you get dandruff; you can manage it at home. Wondering how??? Read this article, How To Get Rid of Dandruff in Four Simple Steps