Does your skin look shiny and greasy after a few hours of washing your face? Does your face look shiny in photographs? Do you hate putting moisturizer especially when humidity is high? You might wipe or wash your face frequently to remove oils but does the oiliness come back after a while?
Oily skin has the following skin concerns:
- Greasy skin- Face gets oily after some time of washing your face
- Open Pores
- Red or pus-filled pimples
- Most Sunscreens/ creams make you greasy, sweaty and hot
- Face looks shiny in photographs
A right skincare routine that can help in getting matt look, along with reducing open pores, pimples and comedones. We recommend to follow:
- Daily CTM (cleansing, toning and moisturising) regime three times a day
- Weekly: Scrub your face followed by face pack.
MORNING SKINCARE ROUTINE
STEP 1 CLEANSING
- The end result of cleansing should be normal to slightly dry skin.
- Wash your face 2 times a day.
- You can wash your face for the third time in mid-day if your skin feels oily or greasy.
- Watch this video to know how to wash your face effectively: How to wash face properly
- If your face gets oily despite washing for 3 times a day, then you need salicylic or retinol-based gel to control oil secretions in your night regime.
BRAND RECOMMENDATIONS FOR FACE WASH
Face wash for oily skin with sensitivity breakouts:
You should use a mild face wash that does not strip the natural moisturising factors of your skin, even if your skin is very oily.
- Cetaphil Dermacontrol Foam Wash
- The Body Shop Aloe Vera Gentle Face Wash
- RE’ EQUIL Oil Control Anti Acne Face Wash
- NIVEA Face Wash, Milk Delights Fine Gramflour, Oily Skin
Face wash for oily skin prone to acne
- The Body Shop Tea Tree Skin Clearing Face Wash
- Forest Essentials Facial, Ubtan Multani Mitti
- Neutrogena Deep Clean Facial Cleanser
Face wash for very oily skin
100% Natural face wash for oily skin
You can also make this 100% natural face wash by clicking on this link: Homemade face wash for oily skin. The recipe is simple and can be made in 5 minutes. This face wash can be stored for a month without a refrigerator, provided you keep it absolutely dry.
STEP 2: ROSEWATER
After washing your face, Spray rose water and massage to hydrate and soothe your skin. Click on this link to find best pure organic Rosewater in India.
STEP 3: MOISTURISER
The choice of day moisturizer depends on your key skin concern and sun exposure.
BRAND RECOMMENDATIONS FOR MOISTURISER
If your work involves getting out in the bright sun
Apply sunscreen of SPF 30+ around 30 minutes before stepping out in the bright sun. Repeat application after every 3 hours, if you stay outdoor longer. Here are a few brands that might be less sticky:
- Neutrogena Sheer Zinc Dry Touch Sunscreen Spf50+ (For Sensitive Skin)– recommended for sensitive skin
- Bioderma Photoderm Max Aquafluide Spf 50+
- Bioderma Photoderm Max Tinted Aquafluid SPF50+, 40ml – this is tinted sunscreen with good coverage
- L’Oreal Paris Men Expert Barber Club for men
- L’Oreal Paris UV Perfect Aqua Essence SPF 50
- Lakme Absolute Perfect Radiance UV Lotion
- Greenberry Organics SPF 40+ Sunscreen Spray Lotion
If sunscreen makes you look greasy, dab face powder around 15 minutes after applying sunscreen to achieve a matt and fresh look.
If your work is mostly indoor or travel time is less than 15 minutes & you have a tendency for sensitivity, pigmentation, ageing skin: You should still use a sunscreen with SPF 15. Here are a few options:
- SUNSTOP 19 Sunscreen cream· for sensitive skin
- Olay Total Effects 7-In-1 Anti-Ageing Cream + Serum Duo SPF 15 for pigmentation prone skin
- Olay Day Cream Regenerist Microsculpting SPF 30 for ageing skin
If your work is mostly indoor or travel time is less than 15 minutes and you have a tendency for open pores, whiteheads, pimples
You use one of the following serum that can help in oil control and give matt look.
- L’Oreal Paris Hydrafresh Anti-Shine Gel
- L’Oreal Paris Revitalift Crystal Micro-Essence
- Lakmé Absolute Pore Fix Toner
- Neutrogena Hydro Boost serum
- Olay Serum Tone Perfecting Hydrating Essence
NIGHT REGIME FOR OILY SKIN
You can do your night regime right after you reach back home from work. This would remove dust, pollutants and dead skin from your skin and refresh you as well.
If you apply make-up, then use micellar water rather than cleansing milk to remove it. This should be followed by a face wash and massage of rose water. Thus, Step 1 and 2 are the same as the morning regime
STEP 3: NIGHT MOISTURISER
This is the most important part of the regime because active ingredients stay and absorb into your skin without the environmental influence of dust, dirt wind, sun, pollution, etc. Here are some products that you can try based on your skin condition.
BRAND RECOMMENDATIONS FOR NIGHT MOISTURISER
Oily skin prone to sensitivity breakouts
- The best option for very sensitive skin that is breaking out is to use good quality aloe vera only until the breakouts get better.
- Forest Essentials Pure Aloe Vera Light Hydrating Gel can be used for highly sensitive skin.
- If aloe vera alone does not help, kindly consult dermatologist rather than try any other product.
- Once your skin is not red, itchy, irritated or burning then your shift to one of the following products:
Oily skin with blackheads and open pores
You can use one these products with salicylic acid or tea tree oil for controlling acne and open pores:
- Vichy Normaderm Anti-acne lotion
- O3+ Agelock Vitamin C AHA Serum– Has anti-ageing effects as well
- Mamaearth Skin Correct Face Serum
- O3+ Exquisite Tea Tree Men Meladerm Whitening Serum for men
Oily skin with dark spots or patches
You can use one of the following serum that can help in reducing dark patches to some extent.
- L’Oreal Paris Youth Code Luminizer Unifying and Illuminating for Dark Spots
- Lotus Herbals WhiteGlow Intensive Skin Whitening & Brightening Serum + Moisturiser
- Auriga Flavo C Forte also has an anti-ageing effect
- Kozicare Skin Whitening Serum
- O3+ Agelock Vitamin C Lactic Acid Serum also has an anti-ageing effect
- The Faceshop White Seed Brightening Serum
- Mamaearth Skin Illuminate Vitamin C Serum has anti-ageing action as well.
Oily skin with ageing
If your skin does not have sensitivity, acne or pigmentation, then start using one of these anti-ageing products after you cross the age of 25 years:
- O3+ Agelock Vitamin C Booster Serum
- O3+ Agelock Youth Drop Anti-Ageing Lactic Acid Facial Serum
- L’Oreal Paris Revitalift Laser X3 Renewing Anti-Ageing Serum
- Dr Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd Revibra A15 Retinol Cream
- StBotanica Retinol 2.5% wrinkle serum
- The Moms Co. Natural Vitamin C Hyaluronic Acid Face Serum
Step 1: Scrub
- Scrub your face gently without applying undue pressure for not more than 2-3 minutes. Rinse with water and pat dry.
- Avoid scrub if you have many black/whiteheads, red pimples, or nodular acne.
- You can try the following products:
Step 2: Face Pack
- Put a thick layer of face pack after scrubbing your face.
- Let it dry for 10-15 minutes and then remove it.
- If your skin feels dry put a lightweight moisturizer.
Face mask for oily skin with acne:
- Mamaearth Neem Face Pack
- Khadi Mauri Herbal Neem & Tea Tree Oil Face Pack
- WOW Skin Science Anti-Acne Neem & Tea Tree Clay Face Mask
- Innisfree Super Volcanic Pore Clay Mask,
Face mask for pigmentation & glow
- Lotus Herbals Whiteglow Insta Purifying Serum Sheet Mask
- Mamaearth Ubtan Face Pack Mask
- Biotique Bio Fruit Whitening And Depigmentation & Tan Removal Face Pack
- Garnier Face Serum Sheet Mask
How to change your regime with the weather?
Humid weather can make your skin really oily giving you a greasy and tired look. This is the time when you tend to get black/whiteheads and pimples. Just changing a face wash might help to control oil secretions. if this does not help the. you can add AHA based serum at night.
In winters or dry weather do bring in a sigh of relief as your skin gets less oily and pimples might settle as well. You step down your face wash in winters.
Planning a Holiday?
Holidays to hot and humid areas can lead to a breakout of pimples. So, do not forget to pack your face wash, oil cleansing wipes, and sunscreens. You can skip anti-wrinkle/skin lightening cream, scrubs, face pack etc. to keep the skincare regime simple. The major focus should be on sun protection. Do not forget to follow the skincare and diet tips recommended Dr Malavika Kohli, top cosmetic dermatologist of India in an interview with Dermatocare.
How to change the skincare regime with age?
Teenage is the toughest time when the oil secretion is at its peak; and so are the pimples. However, oil secretion usually reduces with age, especially after menopause. Nevertheless, some of you might continue to get pimples, especially around your mouth even at a later age. You might get open pores along with the increased thickness of your skin; the duo appears like an orange peel.
Always use a retinol-based anti-ageing product at night to control oil secretion, open pores and orange peel appearance.