Looking for dermatologist recommended skin care regime for oily skin?
Then you are at right place! I love formulating skin c are regimes at my clinic and for online patients across the globe. Oily skin is my favourite. Do you know why? Because right skincare regime shows instant results.
Dermatologist recommended skin care regime for oily skin helps by:
- Reducing greasy and tired look
- Your face does not look shiny and dark in photographs.
- Black/whiteheads on T zone tends to settle in a months time (lets be realistic)
- Open pores shrink a bit, but new ones don’t develop.
- Red or pus-filled pimples, if you start acne specific products mentioned below.
- Not to mention we will help you find best sunscreens/ creams that won’t make you greasy, sweaty and hot
Are you read to restore your radiant and matt look back? Here is what you need to do in your skin care regime:
Daily: CTM (cleansing, toning and moisturising) regime three times a day & Weekly: Scrub your face followed by face pack.
MORNING AND NOON REGIME FOR OILY SKIN
STEP 1 CLEANSING
Face wash that can remove oils from the skin is must. But, most of you make mistake of using a face wash that strips the Natural moisturising factors.
If your skin is over dry or over oily after washing, then better change your face wash.
The end result of cleansing should be normal to slightly dry skin. Another mistake that lot of patients make is washing face again and again. You should not wash face more than 3 times. If your face gets oily despite washing for 3 times a day, then you should add salicylic or retinol-based gel to control oil secretions in your night regime. Lastly, make sure that you wash your face meticulously as shown in this video, How to wash face properly
The choice of face wash depends on the severity of oil secretions and sensitivity. Face wash cannot clear your dark spots or wrinkles, so there is no point spending on them. Scroll below to find the face wash that best suits your present skin condition.
BRAND RECOMMENDATIONS FOR FACE WASH
Face wash for oily sensitive skin:
- SebaMed Clear Face Cleansing Foam
- Cetaphil Oily Skin Cleanser
- SkinKraft Face Wash For Sensitive Skin
Face wash for oily skin:
- The Body Shop Tea Tree Skin Clearing Face Wash
- Forest Essentials Facial, Ubtan Multani Mitti
- Neutrogena Deep Clean Facial Cleanser
- Paula’s Choice Oil-Reducing Cleanser
Face wash for very oily skin with salicylic acid:
- The Derma Co 1% Salicylic Acid Gel Face Wash
100% natural face wash for oily skin
You can also make this 100% natural face wash in just 5 minutes by clicking on this link: Homemade face wash for oily skin.
STEP 2: ROSEWATER
Pat dry your face after washing and spray rose water. Massage rose water until it gets absorbed. Rose water hydrates and soothe your skin. Click on this link to find best pure organic Rosewater in India.
STEP 3: MOISTURISER
I am not a great fan of using sunscreen indoors, especially in Indian skin because we have melanin that can protect us from UV rays. Moreover, sunscreens tend to occlude your pores and make you look greasy. Therefore you should put a sunscreen of SPF 30 around 30 minutes before stepping out in the bright sun. If sunscreen makes you look greasy, dab face powder around 15 minutes after applying sunscreen to achieve a matt and fresh look. Repeat application after every 3 hours, if you stay outdoor longer.
Here are a few brands that are less sticky:
- Neutrogena Sheer Zinc Dry Touch Sunscreen Spf50+ recommended for sensitive skin
- Bioderma Photoderm Max Aquafluide Spf 50+
- Bioderma Photoderm Max Tinted Aquafluid SPF50+, 40ml – this is tinted sunscreen with good coverage
- Lakme Absolute Perfect Radiance UV Lotion
- Paula’s Choice Ultra-Sheer Daily Defense SPF 30
- Kaya Skin Clinic SPF 25 Ultra Light Aquagel Sunscreen
If you are prone to pigmentation or rosacea, then you can use lightweight sunscreens with SPF 15 indoors. Given below are few brands recommendations:
- SUNSTOP 19 Sunscreen cream· for sensitive skin
- Olay Total Effects 7-In-1 Anti-Ageing Cream + Serum Duo SPF 15 for pigmentation prone skin
- Olay Day Cream Regenerist Microsculpting SPF 30 for ageing skin
If you stay indoors, then you can use any of the following products that can hydrate, minimise pores and reduce tendency of getting blackheads:
- L’Oreal Paris Hydrafresh Anti-Shine Gel
- L’Oreal Paris Revitalift Crystal Micro-Essence
- Olay Serum Tone Perfecting Hydrating Essence
- Paula’s Choice SKIN BALANCING Invisible Finish Gel
NIGHT REGIME FOR OILY SKIN
You should do your night regime immediately after reaching back home from work or after finishing the kitchen work to remove oil, dust, pollutants and dead skin cells from your skin. Step 1 and step 2 are same as morning regime. Begin by removing make up with micellar water instead of cleansing milk, followed by face wash and rose water.
STEP 3: NIGHT MOISTURISER
You should use a night moisturiser in gel, lotion or serum base with active ingredients that can address your key skin concern. It is very important to solve the skin issues in following order:
If your skin is red, itchy or irritated, then avoid any kind of anti-acne, skin lightening or anti-ageing ingredients. The best option is to use a good quality aloe vera gel until the breakouts get better. Forest Essentials Pure Aloe Vera Light Hydrating Gel can be used for highly sensitive skin.c If aloe vera alone does not help, kindly consult dermatologist rather than try any other product.
Once your skin is not red, itchy, irritated or burning then your shift to one of the following products:
Oily skin with blackheads and open pores
You can use one these products with salicylic acid or tea tree oil for controlling acne and open pores:
- Vichy Normaderm Anti-acne lotion
- O3+ Agelock Vitamin C AHA Serum– Has anti-ageing effects as well
- Mamaearth Skin Correct Face Serum
- O3+ Exquisite Tea Tree Men Meladerm Whitening Serum for men
Oily skin with dark spots or patches
You can use one of the following serum that can help in reducing dark patches to some extent.
- L’Oreal Paris Youth Code Luminizer Unifying and Illuminating for Dark Spots
- Lotus Herbals WhiteGlow Intensive Skin Whitening & Brightening Serum + Moisturiser
- Auriga Flavo C Forte also has an anti-ageing effect
- Kozicare Skin Whitening Serum
- O3+ Agelock Vitamin C Lactic Acid Serum also has an anti-ageing effect
- The Faceshop White Seed Brightening Serum
- Mamaearth Skin Illuminate Vitamin C Serum has anti-ageing action as well.
Oily skin with ageing
If your skin does not have sensitivity, acne or pigmentation, then start using one of these anti-ageing products after you cross the age of 25 years:
- O3+ Agelock Vitamin C Booster Serum
- O3+ Agelock Youth Drop Anti-Ageing Lactic Acid Facial Serum
- L’Oreal Paris Revitalift Laser X3 Renewing Anti-Ageing Serum
- Dr Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd Revibra A15 Retinol Cream
- StBotanica Retinol 2.5% wrinkle serum
- The Moms Co. Natural Vitamin C Hyaluronic Acid Face Serum
Step 1: Scrub
- Scrub your face gently without applying undue pressure for not more than 2-3 minutes. Rinse with water and pat dry.
- Avoid scrub if you have many black/whiteheads, red pimples, or nodular acne.
- You can try the following products:
Step 2: Face Pack
- Put a thick layer of face pack after scrubbing your face.
- Let it dry for 10-15 minutes and then remove it.
- If your skin feels dry put a lightweight moisturizer.
Face mask for oily skin with acne:
- Mamaearth Neem Face Pack
- Khadi Mauri Herbal Neem & Tea Tree Oil Face Pack
- WOW Skin Science Anti-Acne Neem & Tea Tree Clay Face Mask
- Innisfree Super Volcanic Pore Clay Mask,
Face mask for pigmentation & glow
- Lotus Herbals Whiteglow Insta Purifying Serum Sheet Mask
- Mamaearth Ubtan Face Pack Mask
- Biotique Bio Fruit Whitening And Depigmentation & Tan Removal Face Pack
- Garnier Face Serum Sheet Mask
How to change your regime with the weather?
Humid weather can make your skin really oily giving you a greasy and tired look. This is the time when you tend to get black/whiteheads and pimples. Just changing a face wash might help to control oil secretions. if this does not help the. you can add AHA based serum at night.
In winters or dry weather do bring in a sigh of relief as your skin gets less oily and pimples might settle as well. You step down your face wash in winters.
Planning a Holiday?
Holidays to hot and humid areas can lead to a breakout of pimples. So, do not forget to pack your face wash, oil cleansing wipes, and sunscreens. You can skip anti-wrinkle/skin lightening cream, scrubs, face pack etc. to keep the skincare regime simple. The major focus should be on sun protection. Do not forget to follow the skincare and diet tips recommended Dr Malavika Kohli, top cosmetic dermatologist of India in an interview with Dermatocare.
How to change the skincare regime with age?
Teenage is the toughest time when the oil secretion is at its peak; and so are the pimples. However, oil secretion usually reduces with age, especially after menopause. Nevertheless, some of you might continue to get pimples, especially around your mouth even at a later age. You might get open pores along with the increased thickness of your skin; the duo appears like an orange peel.
Always use a retinol-based anti-ageing product at night to control oil secretion, open pores and orange peel appearance.