Chilblains is characterised by red, itchy and swollen toes and fingers caused by rapid cooling of hands and feet during winters. Home remedy for chilblains works by:
- Warming up your skin gradually.
- Improving circulation.
- Counter-irritant effect of essential oils.
This home remedy can be divided into basic, advanced and expert depending on the number of ingredients you want to start with.In addition, you should follow preventive measures listed in this article and try this chilbain cream with Gingko Biloba extracts, a herb that help in improving the circulation in chilblains.
Ayurveda specifically mentions Mustard oil for treating chilblains. You just need one ingredient for the basic home remedy for chilblains- mustard oil. Massage mustard oil on your hand and feet twice a day. This will warm up your skin and improve circulation. If you get reddeness, irritation or rash with mustard oil, then replace with coconut oil.
Advanced recipe involves the addition of one of the 4 essential oils to mustard oil. These essential oils help in improving circulation by the counter-irritant effect. Though, different brands of essential oil behave differently; for safety keep the dilution of essential oils between 3-6 % for use on hands and feet.
The essential oil that can be added are as follows:
- Rosemary oil: start with 15 drops for 1 ounce of mustard oil and increase up to 30 drops per ounce if your skin can tolerate it.
- Myrrh oil: start with 15 drops for 1 ounce of mustard oil and increase up to 30 drops per ounce if your skin can tolerate it.
- Lavender oil: start with 15 drops for 1 ounce of mustard oil and increase up to 30 drops per ounce if your skin can tolerate it.
- Peppermint oil: Do not exceed more that 10 drops per ounce of mustard oil. Do not use this oil if you have sensitive or eczema prone skin or if your skin of hand and feet is already red and broken because of chilblains.
Expert home remedy should be tried only if the advanced home remedy is not helping and you should consult your doctor if you have eczema, allergies, asthma, allergic rhinitis etc before trying this home remedy. Expert remedy involves adding 2 or more of the above essential oil to mustard oil. The dilution should be done as follows:
- Start with the minimum dilution of so that total 15 drops of all the essential oils are present in one ounce of mustard oil. For example, you can use 8 drops each of 2 essential oil, or 5 drops each of 3 essential oil.
- Always do patch test by applying this oil on the inside of the arm, especially if you have sensitive or eczema prone skin. Use this oil, only if you do not notice any redness, rash or bumps for 48 hours.
- If you do not notice any improvement or feel the warmth or slight redness of hands on using this oil for a week, then add 3 drops of each essential oil per week.
- The maximum dilution should be 15 drops of each essential oil in 1 ounce of mustard oil. However, do not increase the dilution peppermint oil if it is already causing tingling sensation on your skin or has a strong smell.
- You can add other essential oils like calendula oil to impart healing properties and chamomile oil to enhance soothing action in dilution suggested above.
Where to buy ingredients?
You can either find these ingredients at local store or they are easily available online:
|Ingredients||For availabity, click on the links given below:|
How to use above remedy?
Step 1: Dip your hands and feet in warm water for 10 to 15 minutes,
Step 2: Pat dry.
Step 3: Massage mustard oil with or without essential oils.
Step 4: After massage, put gloves and socks immediately to avoid rapid change in temperature during day or slip into your bed at night.
What are the possible side effects of above recipe?
- Mustard oil might cause little tingling and burning on the broken or sensitive skin. If irritation continues for more than few minutes or is unbearable, wash immediately. Do not use this remedy again.
- The essential oils can irritate the sensitive and allergy prone, thus always to patch test before first use or stick to the basic recipe. So, avoid the essential oil that does not suit you.
- The essential oil can trigger a widespread allergic reaction in eczema prone skin. If you or your immediate family members are prone to allergies, asthma or allergic rhinitis, I would recommend you to stick to basic remedy and use the essential oil only after asking your doctor.