“Alopecia” is a dermatological term for hair loss. In this article, I have answered the following questions:
- How many hair falling out can lead to baldness?
- What type of hair loss I have?
- What are hair loss causes?
- Which is dermatologist recommended hair oil?
- Which is dermatologist recommended shampoo?
- Which is dermatologist recommended hair serum?
- Which vitamins are helpful in hair regrowth?
- Can shampoo stop hair fall?
- What is treatment for hair fall?
- Which home remedies can help in hair regrowth?
How many hair falling out can lead to baldness?
Hair loss of 100 hairs per day is normal. But, it is very difficult to gauge when this limit of 100 hairs is crossed. Here are 7 warning signs when you should consult your dermatologist:
- If you notice a bunch of hair while combing or shampooing your hair.
- If you find hair on your pillow, beddings or floor.
- If your hair are getting thinner and smaller.
- If you can see the bald scalp through your shrinking mane.
- In the case of males, receding of the frontal hairline is seen as broadening of the forehead and your barber might prompt loss of hair on your vertex while doing hair cut.
- In females, you may notice a widening of central parting and reduction in the volume of the ponytail.
- Positive hair pull test: Pull a bunch of approximately 100 hair, from root to tip using moderate pressure. if you notice more than 6 hair then it is an indicator that you are having active hair fall, explained below:
What type of hair loss I have?
There are 4 major types of hair loss- patchy, diffuse, male pattern and female pattern. To know about each type of hair loss in details, read this article: Types of hair loss
What causes hair loss?
The cause of hair loss depends of the types of hair loss. We have listed the reason of each type below:
Cause of Telogen Effluvium ( or diffuse hair loss)
If you are losing your hair diffusely from all over the scalp, then following can be that hair loss causes:
1. Acute stress: Any kind of physical or mental stress to the body that mandates you to take bed rest for a few days can result in hair loss. For example high-grade fevers (typhoid, malaria etc.), major surgery, severe trauma, bereavement etc.
2. Chronic stress: Any chronic medical disease can compromise the nutrition of your hair and hence result in hair loss; for example cancers, chronic kidney or liver diseases, tuberculosis.
3. Hormonal factors: Hormones are important in maintaining hair cycle; thus hypo/hyperthyroidism, polycystic ovarian diseases (PCOD); discontinuation of oral contraceptive pills, delivery can cause hair loss. If you noticed any change in your menstrual cycles, weight gain, pimples or thick dark hair on the face along with hair fall, then the hormonal cause should be ruled out. Diffuse hair loss in mother and baby is common 3-6 months post-delivery and it usually stops in a few months.
4. Dietary deficiencies: Hair loss can occur if you are not taking enough proteins, vitamins, minerals etc.
5. Medications: Your hair loss could be due to medicines used to treat high blood pressure, thyroid disorders, psychiatric diseases, hormonal imbalance. of medicine causing your hair to fall.
6. Mental stress: Normal day stress is unlikely to cause hair loss but undue stress like bereavement, loss of a job, depression etc. can cause hair fall.
7. After delivery: Diffuse hair loss occurs 6-9 after delivery and is termed as postpartum hair loss.
8. Without any reason or Idiopathic: In females at the age of 30-60 years sudden shedding and thinning of hair of all over the scalp and more so temporal area can occur without any reason.
Cause of Male Pattern Hair Loss:
Male pattern baldness or Androgenetic Alopecia presents with receding frontal hairline and hair loss from the vertex. It is caused by genetic tendency, which can be transmitten from both mother anf father side.
Cause of Female Pattern Hair Loss:
In Female pattern Baldness, hair fall from the centre of head leading to widening the central parting. The bald area looks like a Christmas tree. This type of hair loss is because of genes or PCOD, and you might have a family member with a similar pattern of hair loss.
Which is dermatologist recommended hair oil?
Hair oil containing potent hair growth-promoting herbs like bringraj, rosemary, Brahmi, curry leaf oil, etc. might help in stopping hair loss and promoting hair re-growth. Based on our research, here is the list of best dermatologist recommended hair re-growth oil.
Which are dermatologist recommended hair serum?
Dermatologists usually recommend hair growth serums that contain bio-peptides to stimulate the growth of your hair. Please check out this list of best hair regrowth serums that has proven ingredients.
Which is dermatologist recommended shampoo?
Let us be clear, shampoo alone cannot stop hair fall alone, you have to treat the cause as discussed earlier. Click on this link for the list of best hair regrowth shampoos.
Which vitamins should I take to reduce hair loss?
Vitamins can both stop your hair fall and help in regrowth provided you eat the right one. Dermatocare research team analysed the composition of popular hair supplements in India, US, UK and Canada and compiled this list of best supplements for hair regrowth that might help.
Are there any home remedies for hair regrowth?
Hair loss or alopecia from any cause can be reverted to a certain extent with the help of natural hair growth stimulants, healthy diet, proper scalp care as detailed below
- Hair regrowth diet: Read this for the complete diet schedule, What should I eat to regrow my hair.
- Proper scalp care: Avoid vigorous massage because the new hair is not that strongly rooted. Stop using harsh chemicals of hair dye and straightening products. Extremes of temperature like steaming during hair spa might increase the damage.
- Healthy Lifestyle: Good diet, sleep and exercise is key to maintain the hair growth lifelong. We at our clinic recommend patients to follow lifestyle given in this video:
What is treatment of hair fall?
Dermatologist treat hair fall by removing the cause, giving vitamins, serum or Minoxidil. Minoxidil is the oldest and most effective hair regrowth product. It is available OTC in US and only on prescription in India. Lot of patients fear using Minoxidil because of wrong information put on the internet. Please read this article to clear all your doubts regarding the use of Minoxidil, Minoxidil Or Rogaine Reviews- From A Dermatologist
Certain cases of severe hair fall might not respond to the above treatment; you might need the following innovative techniques:
- Derma-rollers: Derma-roller contains multiple pins which when rolled on your scalp stimulate the growth of hair and helps in penetration of Minoxidil lotion.
- Meso-therapy: This consists of injecting vitamins and minerals required for growth of hair into your scalp near the hair roots.
- Platelet-rich plasma therapy: This is a new technique in which your blood is withdrawn, and the factors which help in hair growth are extracted and injected into hair roots.
- Stem cell therapy: This is still the controversial entity that claims to use factors extracted from stem cells to stimulate hair.
- Hair transplant: This procedure has gained rapid popularity in Male pattern baldness.