Tulsi plant has been a trusted remedy for several minor ailments such as common cold and sore throat since time immemorial. Now, research shows that its benefits have even conquered heart diseases, diabetes, high cholesterol and kidney stones too. In this artilce, I have mainly highlighted the basil benefits for skin and hair.
What are health benefits of Tulsi/Basil?
Here, we are going to discuss the wonders that this herb does for our skin:
- Balancing body and mind: Stress plays havoc with your skin; skin glows in happiness and gets dull and dark in depression. When our body is stressed, it releases cortisol hormone that helps in coping up with tough times, but this cortisol also leads to dark skin, acne, high sugar, cholesterol and mood swings. Tulsi helps your body to return to the calm state by reducing the cortisol levels and by releasing stress relieving neurotransmitters from the brain.
- Skin repair and anti-ageing: The anti-oxidants in Tulsi repairs the skin damaged by UV rays, pollution, chemicals, etc. and thus prevents skin ageing. Also, check out Dermatocare reviews on top anti-aging creams
- Anti-acne: Tulsi extract can help in reducing pimples.
- Oral ulcers: Tulsi helps in relieving pain from mouth ulcers and accelerates their healing.
- Teeth decay and pain: Chewing Tulsi leaves can help in keeping teeth healthy and relieves a toothache; no wonder this herb is now commonly added to various herbal toothpaste.
- Fungal infection: Tulsi leaves can be directly rubbed on ringworm twice a day, one study shows clearance after continuous use for a month.
- Insect bites: Tulsi leaves can be crushed and applied to insect bites on the skin to relieve itching.
How to use Basil?
Chewing tulsi or basil leaves is the best choice when it comes to skincare, you can also put a paste of crushed Tulsi leave over oral ulcer, aching tooth or fungal infection.
What are side effects of Tulsi?
As rightly said ‘every advantage has a corresponding disadvantage’ hence Tulsi is no different! Tulsi should be avoided during pregnancy or if you are planning baby, as Tulsi might decrease fertility and sperm count. Tulsi increases bleeding tendency and should be stopped at least two weeks before surgery.
People of which skin types can use Tulsi?
All skin types can draw benefits from chewing Holy Basil leaves at times of stress. Also, the leaves can be crushed, and juice could be added to toners or face packs. Kindly note that the patch test should be done before using the Tulsi extract for the first time on skin, especially if you have sensitive skin.