Is your skin prone to acne? Are you looking for a natural solution to keep your acne at bay with minimal efforts? Try this homemade tea tree oil acne moisturiser!
This acne moisturiser has two components:
- Aloe Vera as a base because it is non-comedogenic and help in reducing acne. It also provides balanced moisturization to the oily skin and has added benefits of anti-aging, skin lightening and acne reduction.
- Tea tree oil essential oil as active ingredients because it has many studies to back up its action in acne and few studies even support that its efficacy is similar to the well-known acne medication, benzoyl peroxide.
So, let us get started with this super easy recipe!
How to make?
In an amber coloured airtight container mix the following ingredients:
|Aloe vera||15 ml||Chemical free Aloe vera Gel: Dermatocare Pick|
|Tea tree oil||6 to 12 drops for face
18 to 24 drops for body
I have personally used much higher concentration of tea tree oil, and the dilution varies with potency of tea tree oil. You can begin by adding 6 drops for every 15 ml and increase gradually to maximum 12 drops or even higher, provided it does not cause irritation, redness or burning. Contrary to face, the skin of your body can tolerate much higher concentrations, so you can experiment till 24 drops for every 15 ml of aloe vera gel.
Watch this video for demo:
How to use?
- Wash your face with the homemade cleanser for oily skin.
- Pat dry
- Take 2-3 drops of above lotion of your palm and apply small dots on the various parts of face.
- Now spread the dots and massage the lotion into your face.
What are the side effects?
This anti-acne moisturiser is mild and tolerated very well, except for those who have sensitive skin. Please do a patch test before first use and discontinue if you experience any redness, irritation or rash.
How to store?
I preferably use aloe vera gel available in the market that already has preservatives to improve shelf life and easy storage without a refrigerator. Therefore, this homemade anti-acne moisturiser can be easily stored on bathroom self for 30 days or even longer. Just make sure that water does not get into it, or else it might go stale.
What to expect?
This anti-acne moisturiser might help in preventing new acne lesion and heal small existing pimples. However, it is not a substitute for the treatment. If you have few red pimples or pus-filled pimples, then you can put this homemade anti-acne spot treatment on them. In more severe cases and non-responding cases, dermatologist visit is highly recommended.