Looking for pampering your skin with natural ingredients that can lighten and brighten up your skin? Try this homemade skin lightening face pack!
I have formulated this face pack with the following skin lightening ingredients based on research (see references at the end):
- Licorice called mulethi in Hindi has glabridin that reduces hyperpigmentation by inhibiting tyrosinase, an enzyme used for the synthesis of skin pigment, melanin. Licorice also works by dispersing the melanin.
- Lemon owes its skin lightening action to citric acid and vitamin C content.
- Aloe vera helps in reducing dark patches by aggregation of skin pigment called melanin.
- Papaya has an enzyme called papain just underneath the peel, that lightens the skin.
- Cucumber also helps in skin fairness.
Another unique thing about this face pack is that we have customised the base ingredients to match your skin type in the following way:
- oats and milk are used as the base in dry skin to nourish and hydrate.
- chickpea flour and oats help in balancing oil sectretion of combination skin
- multani mitti and besan remove excess oils of greasy skin.
Are you ready to brighten up your oily skin with this mulethi fairness face pack? Make sure that you have the essentials in order to try this easy DIY formulated by a dermatologist!
How to make skin lightening face pack?
Mix the following ingredients in a clean bowl:
FIRST PUT THE BASE INGREDIENTS BASED ON YOUR SKIN TYPE:
For oily skin: Put 2 spoons of Multanin mitti (or fuller’s earth) and besan (or chickpea flour)
For combination skin: Put 2 spoons each of besan (or chickpea flour) and grounded oats
For dry skin: Put 2 spoons each of milk and grounded oats
NOW PUT THE ACTIVE INGREDIENTS:
Licorice- 1/4 spoon
Aloe vera- 1/4 spoon
Grated cucumber- 2 spoons
Lemon juice- 5 drops
How to use it?
- Srub your skin with this brown sugar scrub
- Pat dry with a clean, soft cloth.
- Apply the face pack in an upward direction.
- Let it dry. Leave it untouched for half an hour or so.
- Once it is dry, splash a generous amount of water on your face to make the mask soft.
- Gently scrub your face by removing the face pack in circular, outward motions to aid the removal of dead skin cells.
- Rinse off the leftover face pack and pat dry.
- You can use this face mask once or twice a week.
What are the side effects?
This skin lightening face pack has many potent ingredients, which could cause irritation, as is common for sensitive skin. Thus, always perform the patch test before the first use. Secondly, do not expose your skin to harsh sunlight after using this face pack, because the lemon in it might react, and cause irritation.
How to store?
This face pack cannot be stored.
Why these ingredients?
The skin-lightening ingredients used in this face pack have following studies to back up their efficacy:
- The Hunt for Natural Skin Whitening Agents
- Traditional and Medicinal Uses of Carica papaya
- Mechanisms Regulating Skin Pigmentation: The Rise and Fall of Complexion Coloration
- The inhibitory effect of glabridin from licorice extracts on melanogenesis and inflammation.